Skip to content
Complete texts of the Homilies will be available soon.
Contents of the First Book of Homilies
- A Fruitful Exhortation to the Reading of Holy Scripture.
- Of the Misery of all Mankind.
- Of the Salvation of all Mankind.
- Of the true and lively Faith.
- Of Good Works.
- Of Christian Love and Charity.
- Against Swearing and Perjury.
- Of the Declining from God.
- An Exhortation against the Fear of Death.
- An Exhortation to Obedience.
- Against Whoredom and Adultery.
- Against Strife and Contention.
Contents of the Second Book of Homilies
- Of the right use of the Church.
- Against peril of Idolatry.
- For Repairing and keeping Clean the Church.
- Of Good Works. And first of Fasting.
- Against Gluttony and Drunkenness.
- Against excess of Apparel.
- An Homily of Prayer.
- Of the Place and Time of Prayer.
- Of Common-Prayer and Sacraments.
- An Information for them which take offence at certain places of holy Scripture.
- Of Alms-deeds.
- Of the Nativity.
- Of the Passion, for Good-Friday.
- Of the Resurrection, for Easter-day.
- Of the worthy receiving of the Sacrament.
- An Homily concerning the coming down of the Holy Ghost, for Whitsunday.
- An Homily for Rogation Week.
- Of the state of Matrimony.
- Against Idleness.
- Of Repentance and true Reconciliation unto God.
- An Homily against Disobedience and wilful Rebellion.
A Thanksgiving for the Suppression of the last Rebellion